Friday, February 26, 2016

Tastings - Vintage Cellar, February 25, 2016


As a disclaimer, I feel that my nose was a little shot for this tasting, as the cold wind really messed with my sense of smell, but I did my best. Anyways, here we go.

Name: Dom Michel Thomas Sancerre Rose
Variety: 100% Pinot Noir
Region: Loire
Country: France
Year: 2013
Price: $8.95
Shop Review: "Bright orange-pink. Lively, mineral-tinged aromas of fresh red berries, orange peel and honeysuckle, with a hint of anise building in the glass. Dry and nervy in the mouth, offering vibrant strawberry and orange pith flavors and a suggestion of rose pastille. The floral element comes back on the finish, which lingers with very good spicy persistence." - Stephen Tanzer, 90
My Review: This amber-rose colored wine reminded me of a brie cheese and sour pear nose. It was quite an unusual combination, but it was interesting. At first, I tasted the sour pear up front, along with a dry, acidic middle. It had a nice warm finish, but turned a bit sour going into the second wine. Not too excited about Rose's, but this one was interesting, as I'm used to a Pinot Noir being a very dark grape.


Name: Riebeek Cellars Viognier
Variety: 100% Viognier
Region: Swartland
Country: South Africa
Year: 2015
Price: $7.95
Shop Review: "This is a luscious viognier, featuring a deep yellow color, that explodes with juicy peach and honeysuckle flavors. Viognier can easily become flabby, but this one manages to keep its figure within bounds. I recommend this for immediate, lip-smacking enjoyment." - Washington Post
My Review: This wine had a straw yellow-green color to me. I smelled sour apple and not much else. Not too exciting yet, but the taste had a bit of a peach flavor up front, with a dry and acidic finish again. I can really tell these wines are getting more complex, as there are other flavors I really couldn't pinpoint, but it was an interesting Viognier. A great white wine in my opinion.


Name: Tonnino Syrah
Variety: 100% Syrah/Shiraz
Region: Sicily
Country: Italy
Year: 2013
Price: $7.95
Shop Review: An intense red color. Aromas of violet and blackcurrant enriched by hints of liquorice and black pepper. In the mouth it is full, round, slightly tannic and with a spicy note on the finish.
My Review: This was a dark, intense red wine, and not just in color. The smell reminded me of the rotting fruit you might smell on the ground in an orchard. At first taste, I could tell this was going to be an intense wine, as it came out very spicy. the mid tongue reminded me of grilled vegetables, like brussels sprouts, asparagus, and others. It had a dry finish that, to me, tasted like the black char on a grill or seasoned pan. This was a great wine, and I really enjoyed it.


Name: Vina Galana Alicante Bouchet
Variety: 100% Alicante Bouchet
Region: N/A
Country: Spain
Year: 2012
Price: $9.95
Shop Review: From the rare Alicante Bouchet, one of the few grapes in the world with red flesh  this wine has a plush texture carring flavors of brandied cherry and chocolate ganache in this round red. Light tannins and gentle acidity impart a lovely, balanced structure.
My Review: I was nearly instantly reminded of the Garnacha I had a while ago, the Vina Borgia. Rightly so, as
I learned this grape variety is a cross between the Grenache and Petit Bouchet. While I hated that wine with a passion, this one was more dynamic. It had a nice ruby-red color, and an interesting smell. I detected sweaty socks, and a dusty smell you might find in a nice antique store. On the tongue, it started out with a very oily, petroly, spicy taste, but on the mid-palate, I detected that antique store again, along with an old-fashioned wood taste, like one of those old Chinese apothecary cabinets smells. This had a very long and drawn out finish. By far, my favorite of the tasting session.


Name: Crane Lake White Zinfandel
Variety: 100% Zinfandel
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95
Shop Review: Light pink wine with floral and tropical aromas: flavors of strawberry, peach and raspberry with a touch of sweetness. This wine is an easy sipping wine that also pairs well with a wide variety of foods ranging from crab cakes or pâté to spicy Asian dishes, glazed ham, and grilled sea bass.
My Review: I like how they set this one up to be last, as it was quite straight forward in its approach. This rosy, light red wine had a crisp, light smell. I could detect the strawberry the shop review mentioned. The taste was sweet at first, like peaches in a can, including the syrup. I could also taste baked apples. But in the end, it finished very quickly. So quickly, in fact, that I could still taste the previous wine on my palate. It was a great way to end the session, but I was overall a little underwhelmed, even for a sweet wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment