Thursday, February 18, 2016

Tastings - Vintage Wine Cellar, February 18, 2016

Name: Tonnino Grillo
Variety: 100% Grillo
Region: Sicily
Country: Italy
Year: 2014
Price: $7.95
Shop Review: "Fruit-forward and tangy, this light-bodied, snappy white offers flavors of guava, apricot, candied grapefruit zest and stone. Drink now. 20,000 cases made." - Wine Spectator
My Review: This wine was light gold in color, and had a sweet, apple-like smell, with a hint of a dry citrus. The taste was rather plain at first, but soon afterwards, I detected a strong grapefruit taste, which I really enjoyed! in the end, I tasted a spiced apple, but with black pepper instead of the usual cinnamon or nutmeg. Overall, the Grillo intrigued me, and I will definitely be looking out for it later.





Name: Palacio de Bornos Verdejo
Variety: 100% Verdejo
Region: Rueda
Country: Spain
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95
Shop Review: "Zesty and clean, with pure grapefruit and passion fruit aromas. It’s charged up but perfectly balanced, with bright, focused citrus and pineapple flavors. Lemony acidity keeps the finish rolling, then throw in some chive and fresh greens and you have a spot-on Verdejo." - Wine Enthusiast
My Review: I had an interesting experience with this wine. The volunteer pouring my wine said I was the first to smell a bitter, salty nose. It was light at first taste, with a sweet mid-tongue, but the end was the most interesting. I detected a very creamy taste, paired with sweet lemons, that all together tasted like a delicious lemon meringue pie. This was a very enjoyable white wine. I certainly am finding some white wines that I find enjoyable.



Name: Indwe Pinotage
Variety: 100% Pinotage
Region: Western Cape
Country: South Africa
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95
Shop Review: “A disclaimer: I have never cared much for Pinotage, the indigenous South African grape variety, but this 2013 Pinotage from Indwe, named after the country's national bird, the blue crane, comes across like a light Pinot Noir. Subtle notes of cherries, spice and forest floor are followed by a round, light to medium-bodied, pure, seductive, well-crafted wine.” - Robert Parker, Drink now-2016.
My Review: I thought this had an interesting color, as it reminded me of a dull, blood-like hue. Maybe it was because of the last wine, but it smelled creamy and peppery. At first taste, this wine was light, but dry, and ended in a peppery, spicy tasty finish. The mid-tongue and ending really reminded me of a fancy tomato-based pasta sauce. This might make for a good red wine sauce...

Name: Codirosso Chianti
Variety: Chianti Blend
Region: Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2014
Price: $7.95
Shop Review: Ruby red color with purple reflections.  Intense vinous bouquet with hints of violets and dark cherry fruit. The flavor is full of ripe fruit and a hint of spice. It is well balanced and dry. The finish is persistent and satisfying.
My Review: In this burnt orange/red wine, the aromas were strikingly strong. I smelled a lot of things, such as a sweet, cooked fruit, like a dark cherry pie filling and caramelized figs, and dried fruit like raisins. I was a little disappointed at the taste, though, as it wasn't as dynamic as the aroma. It was sweet at first, but it turned into a vinegar-like taste. The ending made up for it a bit, with an apple-cinnamon finish. Definitely not as dynamic as the last Chianti I tried, but the aromas really got my nose thinking.


Name: Crane Lake Gewürtztraminer
Variety: 100% Gewürtztraminer
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95
Shop Review: Slightly high-toned notions of rose petal mingle with lemon on nose and palate of this lightly sweet, richly textured yet balanced Gewürztraminer. This is not as heady as you may expect and will be a treat with spicy Asian dishes. Lychee and rose petal make another very fetching appearance on the finish.
My Review: This was an unusual wine of choice for me, as it was the one that I purchased from the Vintage Cellar. This light gold/straw-colored wine had a floral, sweet apple smell, and smelled bubbly like a sprite or club soda. At first taste, it was subtle and sweet. around the mid to end, there was a little fruitiness, like apple (seems to be a theme today) but really, just sweet. I wasn't really interested at first with this wine, but sometimes I guess we can just crave an easy drink. This was fun, light, and I could actually enjoy this wine with the girlfriend. I'm glad I can pick out a wine that I know she would enjoy now. Overall, subtle, but tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment