Sunday, February 7, 2016

Tasting - Bell'Agio Chianti

Name: Bell'Agio Chianti
Variety: 95% Sangiovese, 5% Canaiolo Nero
Region: Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2013
Price: $14.00
Shop Review: Color: Ruby-red with purple hues. Bouquet: Full and reminiscent of violets. Taste: Dry and smooth with zesty notes of cherry and berry fruit.
My Review: It was Italian night at Casa di Campana...which means a trip to Little Caesars for a large cheese pizza and bread sticks. I originally went in to the store with an open mind, but then my eyes fell on the straw-covered container, and I immediately found the wine I wanted tonight. I have never had a Chianti, so I was very excited to try this wine. It has an almost completely opaque ruby color, and a black cherry, cinnamon and gasoline/petrol nose. It's a very pleasing smell to me, and I feel like I could give it more justice if I had a more refined nasal palette. At first taste, this wine had a bit of a cocoa, spicy petrol taste, like I was biting into a piece of dark chocolate infused with black pepper or cayenne. I tasted a mid tongue of earthy, muddy flavors with some sour cherry and a lot of grape. By the end it tasted like a heaping spoonful of cinnamon, and then, a nice and smooth warmth. Overall, I really enjoyed this wine, both the presentation and taste. It paired well with my cheap pizza dinner, and may be one of my go-to wines in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment