Friday, March 4, 2016

Tastings - Vintage Cellar, March 3, 2016

Name: Quintas Melgaço Blue Vinho Verde
Variety: 100% Vinho Verde
Region: Vinho Verde
Country: Portugal
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95
Shop review: Refreshingly crisp white wine from Portugal--Vinho Verde is soft, light and refreshing, and is an uncompromising and ideal wine for everyday pleasure. Its bright color and pineapple aromas are followed by citrus notes. The palate is clean and fresh. Vinho Verde is an excellent accompaniment to fish and shell fish, white meats and salads.
My Review: This pale gold wine had a sour apple, and almost bitter smell, like a pungent crabapple. At first taste, I had a lot of sugary sweetness, then a lot of crispy, tart apple in my face! It seems like the sweetness and acidity were a little out of balance in my opinon, and finished dry as it went down my throat. A little unpleasant for me, but if you like acidity, I would recommend this wine.


Name: Prime Brume Garganega
Variety: 100% Garganega
Region: Soave
Country: Italy
Year: 2014
Price: $6.95
Shop Review: "Pale color. Fruity, floral minerally inviting aromas of passion fruit, white grapefruit, spice poached pear, and papaya with a lean, racy, bone-dry medium body and a smooth, complex, long lemon, passion fruit, raw hazelnut, and wet stones finish with no tannins and light oak. From the tantalizing nose full of exotic fruit, citrus and minerality thru to the long, crisp finish, this soave can seamlessly go from cocktail hour thru to vibrantly flavored dishes" - Tastings.com, 91

My Review: This wine was slightly darker colored than the previous wine. It had a similar smell, but was a bit more floral, and seemed to smell like a rotten or bad smelling flower. The taste made up for the smell for me, as it had a warm and inviting start. as it went into the mid-palate and end, it tasted like a bag of those dried apricot my brother loved so much. Much more pleasant than the first.



Name: Grand Cru Pinot Noir
Variety: 100% Pinot Noir
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $6.95
Shop Review: This ruby-colored wine has aromas of raspberry, cherry and a hint of vanilla. Flavors of cherry and plum lead to a soft velvety finish. This wine can be enjoyed by itself. It is also an excellent accompaniment with Brie, goat cheese and smoked salmon. Lamb shanks and pork tenderloin are a favorite main dishes to pair with this wine
My Review: I detected some garnet-ruby coloration. I smelled a lot from this wine, including cranberries, prune juice, and a sugary candy like Necco wafers or Smarties. I tasted, for the first time, sweaty socks. Alongside this, I tasted plums, that were dipped in black pepper. This had a long, wonderful finish, that tasted like grass and, maybe dandelion? This was a really interesting wine, and the superstar of the tasting session.


Name: Velvet Crush, Crush Master's Red Blend
Variety: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah Blend
Region: California
Country: United Sates
Price: $6.95
Shop Review: Velvety smooth texture just like its name. Soft tannins and lush dark fruit character. Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah bring backbone and character, while the Merlot balances out the blend for a soft, smooth texture. 
My Review: This had a dull ruby color, and smelled like straight up strawberries. I also detected dark cherries, and other fruity, berry-like essences. I tasted black pepper up front, and interestingly enough, like I was taking a big bite out of some antique wood. This also had a long, warm finish. Very interesting and tasted very balanced. 





Name: Doña Sol Sweet Red Table Wine
Variety: Shiraz, Petite Syrah & Symphony Blend
Region: California
Country: United States
Price: $6.95
Shop Review: Shiraz has a unique jammy fruit character that is well represented in the Sweet Red. Both on the nose and on the palate, jammy fruit, like strawberries, cherry pie and red licorice, entices the senses and pair well with cheeses and desserts.
My Review: This light ruby colored wine had a suagry berry nose, like strawberry. After trying all these deep, complex reds, this wasn't all that interesting to me. Sweet taste, and very strawberry heavy. I would probably have enjoyed this with a nice bittersweet chocolate cake. Not too impressed, but I'm not really into sweet wines. I save the high residual sugar for dessert and sodas.

No comments:

Post a Comment