Thursday, February 4, 2016

Tasting - Williamsburg Winery Governor's White American Riesling

Name: Williamsburg Winery Governor's White American Riesling
Variety: 100% Riesling
Region: Williamsburg, VA
Country: United States
Year: 2014
Price: $9.50 (Online Shop)
Shop Review: The 2014 Governors White is a semi dry Riesling with a lot of bright fruit and multiple layers.  On the nose there are the tropical fruits such as pineapple and banana and then you get blueberry, strawberry and plum followed by the melon family represented by cantaloupe and honeydew.  Amid the fruit layers is a very soft honey and vanilla that plays nicely with the classic Riesling nuances.  The residual sugar and alcohol are well balanced within the wines overall structure making for a very approachable wine with smooth sweetness and fruit.
My Review: I remember my parents reveling about this winery the last time I visited Busch Gardens. So, when I found it on the shelf on Walmart, I had to pick it up. This pale yellow riesling smelled rather sour and lemony, and overall smelled like an old, colonial house I may have visited while in Williamsburg. At first, I tasted a light, lime flavor, but mostly sweet hints of apple and maybe a touch of honeydew. In the mid-tongue, I tasted a spicy, cinnamon flavor with perhaps a touch of black pepper. And in the end, I tasted a warm, semi-sweet apricot/peach. Overall, this was a great wine and really enjoyable, despite my usual distaste of white wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment