Thursday, February 11, 2016

Tastings - Vintage Wine Cellar, February 11, 2016

I finally got the courage to go to the Vintage Cellar by myself. I actually had a much better experience than I originally thought. Anyways, here are the five wines we were given to try and my subsequent reviews. Enjoy!



Name: La Lejania Charonnay
Variety: 100% Chardonnay
Region: Central Valley
Country: Chile
Year: 2015
Price: $10.00 (on sale for $6.95)
Shop Review: "This medium bodied Chardonnay exhibits a creamy texture and good definition of fruit from the first sip. A terrific option for Chardonnay drinkers looking for good value without spending over $10! Looking for a great cheese pairing for this wine? Piave is a great fit for this chardonnay. Both have malactic and citrus type flavors. Piave is rich and robust, with a creamy and addicting finish. This Italian favorite is a great pairing for various chardonnays and reds with some acidity, mostly chianti and chardonnay."
My Review: I was a little timid, walking into the Vintage cellar for the first time, but once I was poured a taste of this, I remembered why I was really there: to drink! This pale yellow wine smelled very fruity on the nose, but I smelled mostly pear and apple. At first taste, it was a little sour, with a dry, lemongrass flavor. By the end, the dry taste subsided and a warm, apple cider flavor came out. Overall, okay, but like most chardonnays, not too exciting.


Name: Les Clos Francs Vouvray Chenin Blanc
Variety: 100% Chenin Blank
Region: Loire Valley
Country: France
Year: 2013
Price: $21.00 (on sale for $7.95)
Shop Review: The cool climate in the Vouvray appellation area insures good acidity, which is balanced by the distinctly fruity character of the Chenin Blanc and the mineral qualities imparted by the soil. Thanks to these natural elements, this half-dry Vouvray combines elegance and vigor with sweetness and an inherent freshness.
My Review: Another white...oh well, I saw other people tasting some dark reds, so I just had to get through this one. At first smell, I wasn't too enthused, as all I could get out of this near-clear wine was a bit of petrol. Maybe a bit of earthy tones? On the tip, it tasted like a dry, sour crab apple. Alright, not too fond of this so far. But by the end, I tasted a lemony baked potato. I was a little surprised and pleased by the end result, and overall had a nice experience with this wine.


Name: El Cortijillo Tempranillo
Variety: 100% Tempranillo
Region: La Mancha
Country: Spain
Year: 2014
Price: $9.00 (on sale for $5.95)
Shop Review: "Dusty garnet color. Fruity, floral jammy minty aromas of black raspberry, vanilla, spice cake, and dried plum with a creamy, lively, dry-yet-fruity medium body and a smooth, captivating, medium-length plum jam, black raspberry, sweet vanilla, and cherry finish with well-integrated tannins and moderate oak. Over delivers on beautiful cherry, plum and berry fruit framed with generous vanilla and silky tannins for everyday, balanced sipping on the indulgent side."
- Tastings.com
My Review: I already knew, by trying my dad's tempranillo, that this wine was going to be a good one, if the deep ruby red color wasn't enough already. On the nose, I smelled dark red berries, cherries, blackberries, and oddly enough, raisins and craisins. I'm not one for tasting these dried fruits, but they smelled delicious as a wine essence. At first taste, I noticed the dark berry flavors intermingling with a peppery mid-taste. The end result was a giant fistful of black pepper in my face, mixed with leather. This is one of those wines that puts me in that setting, where I see myself by a crackling brick-mantled fire, in a high-back, old-timey chair, a burning Cuban in one hand, this drink swirling in the other. I wonder if I'll ever go there for real...anyways, amazing wine. My favorite of the bunch, and the only one I bought at the Vintage Cellar.


Name: Crane Lake Petite Sirah
Variety: 100% Petite Sirah (or Durif)
Region: Lodi, California
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95
Shop Review: "Prepare to be overwhelmed, there's nothing "petite" about this wine from the inky dark color to the bouquet loaded with tons of blackberry fruit and a hint of exotic spice; it fills your mouth with jammy fruit balanced by velvety soft tannins. Perfect for your next big party." - Winery Notes
My Review: I can't say I've ever heard of a Petite Sirah, but this wine was interesting. On the nose, this deep purple wine smelled a little like a sour grape candy. At first taste, I really didn't get much, aside from a balsamic kind of flavor. By the mid tongue, this wine began exhibiting a woody, earth flavor, almost dirty. And finally, the wine ended with a warm, dry, vinegary taste. I wasn't a huge fan, but it was an interesting wine tasting to say the least.


Name: Peter Mertes Platinum Riesling
Variety: 100% Riesling
Region: Pfalz
Country: Germany
Year: 2014
Price: $19.00 (on sale for $9.95)
Shop Review: "Juicy and ripe with flavors of peach, tangerine and apple, this is an easy-drinking, off-dry Riesling. Delicately structured, it finishes moderately long with a pleasantly bitter lime pith note." - Wine Enthusiast
My Review: Maybe it was due to all of the other dry wines I had tasted up to this point, but this one was like a big wad of sugar. This wine was almost clear, and had a smell that reminded me of simple syrup. The tip was simply sweet, like candied apricots. By the mid tongue, I was intrigued by a crispy, sour flavor coming through. And finally, the wine had a dry finish, but not like the other wines. This one had the finishing taste of a homemade lemonade, with real lemons, granulated sugar, and tap water. It brought back some childhood memories, and by the looks of it, many people might have thought the same thing, as nearly everyone was buying this wine. Granted it was like two whole bottles of wine for just $10, but I wasn't all that excited by it. I'll stick to my dark, complex wines.


This was a fun experience, tasting wines that someone else picked out for me. I can't wait to go back and do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment