Saturday, January 30, 2016

Tasting - Bacchus Winery Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine

Name: Bacchus Winery Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine
Variety: Merlot (Base)
Region: Virginia
Country: United States
Year: 2015
Price: $16.00 (Bacchus Winery Storefront)
Shop Review: This wine brings together notes of rounded cherry, plum, and bright raspberry with rich chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Excellent on its own or with any dessert, or serve with toasted nuts or shortbread. (Winexpert description)
My Review: Ahh, my first review of one of my dad's wines. From Fredericksburg, VA, my father's shop stresses the importance of home wine making and makes his own out of kits shipped to the shop. This particular wine was a gift for Christmas, and I finally got around to opening it. It is a very dark-colored wine. It has a very deep purple (perhaps a hint of brown?) color, and smells quite sweet, but earthy and tart. At first, I tasted strong, sour raspberry, then immediately following, a rush of chocolate. By the end, the two flavors intertwined and really came together deliciously, and tasted pretty much like a Tootsie Pop. Though this wine borders on 17% alcohol, it was all around sweet and playful. I'm really craving some chocolate ice cream right about now!

No comments:

Post a Comment