Saturday, January 30, 2016

Tasting - Toasted Head Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignon

Name: Toasted Head Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignon
Variety: 100% Bordeaux
Region: Yolo County, California
Country: United States
Year: 2012
Price: $15.98 (Kroger)
Shop Review: Our medium-bodied cabernet showcases flavors of blackberry, cassis with hints of cloves and vanilla, finishing with soft, supple tannins.
My Review: Apart from craving a dark, rich cabernet, and a high amount of alcohol, the fire-breathing bear on the label is the reason I picked this bottle up. Though the shop had many great, fruity things to say about the wine, I was a little underwhelmed. On the nose, it was very strong and peppery, with toasty hints of charcoal and smoke (hence, Toasted Head). Its color was a very dark, almost totally opaque ruby. At first taste, it was very strong, and almost leathery, which I normally like, but with the petrol and sour mid-tongue it wasn't quite pleasing. The wine did redeem itself at the end, though, with an overwhelming warm cranberry taste (one of my favorite fruits). Overall, I wasn't too excited, but I shouldn't expect to really enjoy the complex ones. After all, I may have been spoiled with my dad's homemade cabernets and temperanillos.

No comments:

Post a Comment