Friday, January 22, 2016

My Experience Thus Far (First Blog Assignment)

I know this may seem a little lazy, but I have been thinking about what to write for my first blog assignment. Since I attempted this class last year, but didn't get to finish it, I had this post lying around for no good reason. Everything I said still applies today, except for a few extra things, so I will use what I said last Spring, edit it to my own satisfaction, and add to it as much as I can:

"
My first experience in drinking probably started when I was a freshman in college. Up until that point, I had grown up in a greater metropolitan suburb under a sheltered roof, where any underage drinking was strictly taboo. I grew up "knowing" that I would instantly hate the taste of it and thus never got the urge to go out for myself and try it before I graduated high school. But once I was given the chance to live away from the strict parental guise, I was finally able to share my first 1/5th of Stolichnaya. Naturally, I loved the feeling as anyone could, but unfortunately the taste of vodka, even one of the best brands, was horrible and the mornings after were never pleasant. I quickly learned about controlling my intake, and the importance of water during the session.

My interest in ethanol was draining fast. The burning sensation of hard liquors made me retch, the bitterness turned me off of beer, and every mixed drink I was handed was either too sweet or too strong. Hard ciders were fine, but my GI system just seemed to hate me no matter what I tried. I had gotten over alcohol and I wasn't even 21 yet.

Since I was about 17, my father has been making his own wines in the cellar. About two years ago, my brother, his girlfriend, and my parents planned a tasting/pairing night of his wines. Check out my brother's blog for more information on that: http://cr8on822-wine.blogspot.com/2013/03/dinner-home-cooked-meal.html ...you can even see me in one of the pictures he posted. My favorite of the night? Australian Petit Verdot and Lamb with a balsamic reduction. In any case, this experience of trying many different tasting wines paired with delicious cutlets of meat was something that didn't really impact me until recently. 

When I turned 21 (with little to no fanfare), I elected to stay in Blacksburg over the Summer to see what it might be like living by myself. I grabbed a job at the local Courtyard as an evening bartender. It was here that I acquired my new found taste for the local wine scene, as well as a few well-known brands. Among these, I tasted wines from Chateau Ste. Michelle, Chateau Morisette, Attimo Winery, J. Lohr, and a few beers. After my second ever tasting, I knew there was something magical about the grape. Some tastes could bring back childhood memories, some gave me an idea of what it might have been like in the days of old, and some just tasted plain awesome. 

From my dad's extremely dynamic oak-barrel Cabernet, to Chateau Ste. Michelle's grape juice Riesling, I can say I have at least good footing into the world of Viticulture. I even have a favorite wine now, Attimo Winery's A.D. 325 Chambourcin, where just a few years ago I couldn't tell the difference aside from color. I now know what I might prefer in a beverage menu and probably have a good idea for what dish would compliment it. I still have plenty to learn as I'm sure even the most experienced wine connoisseur could say, but I definitely plan to take out something more than my liver by the end of this course.
"

My father is now the owner of Bacchus Winery, found online here:
http://bacchusva.com/
And on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/Bacchus-Winery-952630911434077
A home wine maker turned winery proprietor, he has taken his home wine making skills and turned it into a business. He focuses on mainly teaching others the wonders of home wine making. Or if you prefer, you can simply buy a bottle of his own creation. I can go on about what he does and makes, and I may make a special trip there for a blog post. But for now, I will end my introduction here and start drinking. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I will enjoy tasting my way through all these different wines!

No comments:

Post a Comment