Thursday, March 17, 2016

Wine Tastings - Vintage Wine Cellar, March 17, 2016

Name: Aveleda Praia Vinho Verde
Variety: 40% Arinto, 30% Loureiro, 20% Trajadura, 10% Azal
Region: Vinho Verde
Country: Portugal
Year: 2013
Price: $8.95
Shop review: Full of fruit, a lasting peach flavor targeted with laserlike acidity through the finish. It has the bite of salty ocean air and a lot of zing. For langoustines.
My Review: My first Vinho Verde, I was actually a little surprised just how "verde" this wine was. It had a very light yellow, but fairly green hue. It smelled quite sour, like a granny smith or crab apple. It had an acidic, dry feel at first, and it finished like I was literally eating a granny smith apple. It was very acid-forward, but quite balanced by its sweetness. Though it probably isn't my first choice in white wine, it was very pleasant.





Name: Tenuta le Velette Orvieto Classico
Variety: 30% Trebbiano, 30% Grechetto, 20% Malvasia, 15% Verdello, 5% Drupeggio
Region: Orvieto
Country: Italy
Year: 2011
Price: &6.95
Shop review: The Berganorio Orvieto is a subtle wine with a bright palate. It shows white flowers on the nose and light citrus notes in the mouth. Its neutral character means it can accompany a wide range of foods. The estate has 103 hectares on the hill opposite the hill town of Orvieto.
My Review: This wine had a truly golden color and an interesting nose. I smelled something like cooked pears and applesauce. It had an acidic taste at first, with a dry mid-palate. But the finish was really nice. I tasted cinnamon and spice, with an apple candy flavor, sort of like the Now and Later's Gary talks about so much. It wasn't very pleasant to me, as it had an acidic, dry finish as it went down the throat, but it was fun to finally taste the candy that so many people talk about.


Name: Bolla Bardolino
Variety: 60% Corvina, 30% Rondinella, 10% Molinara
Region: Bardolino
Country: Italy
Year: 2013
Price: $9.95
Shop review: This bright ruby red wine has hints of black cherry on the nose.  It is soft and fruit-forward, with black-fruit flavors followed by a bright and fresh finish. Serve it as the Italians do – young and lightly chilled. Pairs perfectly with fleshy fish, beef, lamb, red-sauced pastas and pizza.
My Review: This wine had an interesting pale red color, like it looked a little rusted. The smell was interesting to me, as it had a fruity smell with flavors of lamb, like shepherd's pie with petrol or gasoline. It tastes like unripe cherries, with a sour, dry, and acidic flavor throughout. I also detected a little gasoline. I was very interested in this wine, even though it had an overall harsh flavor. 




Name: Castello Sonnino Chianti Montespertoli
Variety: Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Trebbiano and Malvasia del Chianti
Region: Chianti
Country: Italy
Year: 2010
Price: $8.95
Shop review: Rich and modern, with a dark, saturated color and aromas of graham cracker and lemon rind. A juicy palate packed with plum and raspberry is carried by a creamy texture that’s rather toasty in terms of flavor. The finish is round, full and chocolaty.
My Review: This wine had a dull, translucent red color. This smell had me thinking of those antique stores again, and it also had a bit of a pine, mulch smell. The taste was heavy in tannins, as it had me puckered at first taste. It tasted a little like marinara or pasta sauce to me. It was a little off balance, due to the heavy tannins, but I think this would taste amazing with a Benny's pizza slice or a hefty tomato sauce pasta. It's a food wine for sure, as it was a little unexciting by itself, but I could totally have this with an Italian dish.



Name: Peter Mertes Sweet Red Dornfelder
Variety: 100% Dornfelder
Region: California
Country: Rheinhessen
Year: 2014
Price: $6.95
Shop review: The trademark German red grape varietal Dornfelder has a lovely purity of soft red berry fruit. Integrated soft tannins combined with forward fruit flavors make for a perfectly balanced everyday sipping wine.
Great with grilled red meat, sausage and chicken. Best served slightly chilled.
My Review: This had a purplish-ruby color, and a smell of a slightly over ripe grape. I could smell the sugars before I even tasted it. It was a delight after the dryness of the last four, as it was VERY sweet. I distinctly tasted some strawberry jam, and in my opinion was well balanced. It wasn't overly sweet in the finish, but it wasn't my favorite of the tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment